Saturday, May 29, 2010

Waffles!

I found my old waffle maker while home in California, so I made myself sourdough multigrain waffles for breakfast this morning. The recipe, from KAF of course, requires an overnight sponge of sourdough starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk. I didn't have buttermilk (or regular milk) so I used almond milk. I was planning to make the recipe from scratch entirely, but I didn't have any white flour, only whole wheat, which I felt would be too dense, so I used some multigrain pancake mix I had from Trader Joes.

The waffle maker hadn't been used in probably 3-4 years, so I was surprised it worked as well as it did. The waffles looked great on the bottom, but the tops didn't rise high enough to get that gorgeous golden brown. I don't know if that was the waffle maker or the batter that was at fault for that. I'll try making waffles again with a different batter and see if it works out a little better. Despite the minor problems, the waffles didn't suffer at all in the flavor department, and they were even more delicious with some nutmeg thrown in. YUM! I kept the leftovers out to cool completely, then wrapped them individually to freeze for toaster waffles later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment